October 26, 2010
Men's Golf Finished Its Fall Slate
Scoreboard: 4th of 37 at NEIGA Championship, Brewster, Mass., 10/18-19
Schedule: Fall schedule is complete
- The Holy Cross men's golf team completed its fall slate at the 76th annual NEIGA Championship from Oct. 18-19. The team placed 4th of 37 teams at the event and had two members finish within the top-10 individually.
- Senior Colin Andrade (Assonet, Mass.) finished out the fall season strong, earning his first top-10 performance of the season with a third place finish at the NEIGA Championship. He tallied season-low rounds of 72, finishing with a 144 to lead the team for the second time this season. He wraps up the fall portion with a 76.7 strokes average, second lowest on the team.
- Sophomore Steve Zychowski (Mendham, N.J.) also tallied two top team performances this fall. Zychowski ties for the team's lowest round of the season, marking a 70 at the Macdonald Cup. He finished in the top-10 individually at the Blue Devil Invitational (sixth place) and the NEIGA Championship (eighth place). He leads the team with a 74.8 strokes average so far.
- Two other players hold the lowest round for Holy Cross this season, including freshman Tim DiStefano (Albany, N.Y.) and Roberto Machado (Miami, Fla.). Both marked a round of 70 at the Assumption Shootout, the first event of the fall season. Machado is averaging 77.8 strokes per round after the fall while DiStefano averages 82.5. The two tied for the individual title at the Assumption Shootout earlier this season as well.
- As a team, Holy Cross won two events this fall, the most in the last five years. The Crusaders took the team titles at the Assumption Shootout and the Bison Invitational. Three players, including DiStefano and Machado, as well as senior Tim McGovern (Oradell, N.J.) won individual titles. McGovern won the Bison Invitational, tying Worcester's State's Bob Bruso for first place with a career-low round of 73. In all, Holy Cross is averaging 78.1 strokes as a team after 65 rounds of play.