Schedule: Tuesday, Sept. 7 at Assumption
Shootout, Blackstone, Mass., 8:00 a.m.
Sunday-Monday, Sept. 12-13 at Blue Devil Invitational, Wethersfield, Conn., 8:00 a.m.
- The Holy Cross men's golf team begins the 2010 fall season at the Assumption Shootout, held at the Blackstone Country Club in Blackstone, Mass. on Tuesday, Sept. 7. Tee time is set for 8:00 a.m. The squad last played in the shootout back in 2008, placing fourth out of seven teams. Senior captain Colin Andrade (Assonet, Mass.) led the Crusaders with a round of 75 and tied for third place individually.
- The Crusaders will also participate in the Blue Devil Invitational, hosted by Central Connecticut on Sunday-Monday, Sept. 12-13. The competition will be held at the Wethersfield Country Club in Wethersfield, Conn. The squad last played in the Blue Devil invite back in the 2006 fall season, finishing sixth out of 11 teams.
- The 2010 Holy Cross men's golf team will feature a hefty 14-deep roster, providing the squad a lot of depth. This year's team is the largest head coach Bob Molt has carried in his 35 year tenure. Leading the way for the second straight year will be senior captains Colin Andrade (Assonet, Mass.), Tim McGovern (Oradell, N.J.) and James Widman (Middlebury, Conn.). Andrade was a first team All-New England selection after playing a career-high 17 rounds in his junior campaign. He also marked a career-low round of 68 at the New England Championship. McGovern returns after playing in eight rounds his junior season, finishing with a stroke average of 83. Widman tied for the most rounds played on the team (20) and was the low scorer for the team at the Yale Spring Open.
- There will also be five new faces on the Crusaders roster, as four golfers qualified for the team after this past weekend's qualifier. The newcomers include senior Mitch Sumner (Milton, Mass.) and freshman Matt Campbell (York, Maine), Tim DiStefano (Albany, N.Y.), Brodie Stone (Concord, Mass.) and Stephen Winslow (Concord, Mass.).
- Bob Molt returns for his 35th season as head coach of the Holy Cross men's and women's golf teams in 2009-2010. A graduate of Arizona in 1972, Molt took over the head coaching duties in 1976 from Holy Cross Hall of Famer Gerry Anderson. Last season, six of Molt's golfers were named to the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll.
- Also receiving honors for their performances from last season were sophomores Michael McCarthy (Tolland, Conn.) and Steve Zychowski (Mendham, N.J.). McCarthy was named first team All-New England and second team All-Patriot League while Zychowski was selected to the first team All-Patriot League. Zychowski also made headlines this summer as he qualified for the 2010 U.S. Amateur Championship.