Scoreboard: Tied for 11th of 39, NEIGA
Championship, Brewster, Mass., 10/19-20
Schedule: Fall season complete
- The Holy Cross men's golf team wrapped up the fall portion of its 2009-2010 season at the NEIGA Championship at the Captain's Golf Course in Brewster, Mass. The Crusaders tied for 11th out of 39 teams that competed.
- Freshman Michael McCarthy (Tolland, Conn.) continued his impressive season when he fired a two-round score of 150 to tie for 19th at the NEIGA Championship. It was the second time he was the top Crusader performer this fall. The first time was at the Mulekicker Fall Classic, where he also carded his best 18-hole score of the season, a 71 in his first collegiate round. Through nine rounds, he leads the team in average strokes at 75.8.
- Junior James Widman (Middlebury, Conn.) and freshman Steve Zychowski (Mendham, N.J.) have also played nine rounds this fall. Widman is third on the team in scoring average at 77.6, with Zychowski right behind in fourth at 77.7.
- In seven rounds this fall, junior co-captain Colin Andrade (Assonet, Mass.) is second on the team in scoring average at 76.4. He carded a 70 in the second round of the MacDonald Cup, which is the lowest 18-hole score by anybody on the team so far in 2009-2010.
- Sophomore Andrew Wong (Wailuku, Hawaii), who qualified for the team before the season began, has been given opportunities to contribute. In six rounds, he has averaged 78.3 strokes-per-round, including his season best so far, a 76 at the Nichols Invitational, which was tops among Holy Cross golfers.
- With the fall slate complete, the team takes a break and will begin preparing for the spring championship season. Last year, the Crusaders participated in four spring events, including the George Washington, Lou Flumere and Northeast invitationals along with the Patriot League Championship. The spring 2010 schedule has not yet been announced.