Scoreboard: 4th of
12 at the Mulekicker Fall Classic, West Point, N.Y., 9/12-13
Schedule: Saturday-Sunday, Oct. 3-4, at the MacDonald Cup, New Haven, Conn.
- After a two-week layoff, the Holy Cross men's golf team returns to action Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 3-4, at the MacDonald Cup. The event is being held at the Course at Yale in New Haven, Conn. The starting time has yet to be announced.
- Freshman Mike McCarthy (Tolland, Conn.) and junior co-captain James Widman (Middlebury, Conn.) paced the Crusaders at the Mulekicker Fall Classic on Sept. 12-13. McCarthy shot a team-best 145 in his collegiate debut, including a 71 in the first round. Widman followed with a 74 on day one, eventually finishing with a 147 for the tournament. Holy Cross finished fourth at the tournament.
- Holy Cross is hoping to better last year's performance at the MacDonald Cup when it finished 15th. The tournament featured a mixed bag for Widman, who shot a three-round score of 236 in last year's event to finish 59th. He came up with his best individual score of his career in the second round when he shot a 70.
- In addition to McCarthy, Holy Cross featured one other freshman making his collegiate debut at the Mulekicker Fall Classic. After a rocky start, Steve Zychowski (Mendham, N.J.) followed his first-round 84 with a 75 on day two.
- Four of five Crusader golfers are averaging under 80 strokes per round. McCarthy leads the team at 72.5, followed closely by Widman at 73.5. Junior Colin Andrade (Assonet, Mass.) is third with a 75.5 and Zychowski in fourth at 79.5. Junior co-captain Tim McGovern (Oradell, N.J.) is fifth with an average of 82.