Football Team Defeats Dartmouth 24-21 In Overtime

Oct. 14, 2006



Final Stats




HANOVER, N.H. -- Senior placekicker Mike DeSantis (Belle Mead, N.J.) kicked an 18-yard field goal in overtime, to lead the Holy Cross football team to a 24-21 victory over Dartmouth at Memorial Field. DeSantis made three of four field goal attempts on the day, in addition to connecting on his only extra point try for a total of 10 points. The Crusaders improve to 5-2 overall on the season, while the Big Green fall to 0-5.

Dartmouth had the ball first in overtime, and on first down Hudson Smythe was tackled by junior defensive end Adam Sadowski (Tucson, Ariz.) for a three-yard loss. The Big Green then threw incomplete passes on second and third down, and were unable to get a field goal attempt off after a bad snap.

Holy Cross then took possession, and sophomore quarterback Dominic Randolph (Amelia, Ohio) completed a pair of passes to junior wide receiver Ryan Maher (Boca Raton, Fla.) and junior wide receiver Thomas Harrison (Wilmington, Del.), moving the ball to the five-yard line. After a four-yard rush by sophomore tailback Terrance Gass (Sicklerville, N.J.) put the ball on the one-yard line, DeSantis kicked the game-winning field goal.

The Crusaders began the game by taking a 7-0 lead on their opening possession, marching 53 yards on seven plays, before Gass scored the touchdown on a three-yard run. The Big Green tied the score at 7-7 on their next possession, when quarterback Mike Fritz ran 30 yards for the touchdown.

Dartmouth took a 14-7 lead in the second quarter, when Smythe rushed one yard for the score. Holy Cross was able to cut the lead to 14-10 before halftime, on a 20-yard field goal by DeSantis.

On their opening drive of the third quarter, the Crusaders made the score 14-13 on a 23-yard field goal by DeSantis. But the Big Green responded once again, as Smythe ran three yards for his second touchdown of the day, putting Dartmouth ahead 21-13. Later in the third quarter, Randolph tossed a 15-yard touchdown pass to Maher, then Randolph connected with Harrison for the two-point conversion to tie the score at 21-21.

Neither team was able to score in the fourth quarter, and Dartmouth's Andrew Kempler missed a 38-yard field goal with two seconds left, sending the game into overtime.

Randolph finished the day hitting on 20 of 32 attempts for 259 yards and a touchdown, with Maher catching a game-high six passes for 67 yards and a score. Gass led the Crusader ground game with 79 yards and a touchdown on 18 carries. The Big Green was led by Fritz, who completed 15 of 26 passes for 147 yards.

Defensively, sophomore linebacker Brian Billman (Westerville, Ohio) led Holy Cross with 11 total tackles, including a 12-yard sack and a four-yard tackle for loss, which both came on third downs in the fourth quarter to force Dartmouth punts.

Holy Cross returns to action next Saturday, October 21, when it travels to Lafayette for a 1:00 p.m. game.