Crusaders Fall To Georgetown 19-6

C.J. Martin

WORCESTER, Mass. – Georgetown defensive lineman Andrew Schaetzke recorded seven tackles, two quarterback sacks, three tackles for loss and a forced fumble, as the Hoyas posted a 19-6 victory over the Holy Cross football team in a driving snow storm at Fitton Field on Family Weekend. Following the contest, Schaetzke received the Dr. Edward N. Anderson Award as the Most Valuable Player of the Crusaders' Family Weekend game. Holy Cross falls to 4-4 overall and 2-1 in the Patriot League with the loss, while Georgetown improves to 7-2 overall and 3-1 in the conference.

As a team, the Crusaders held the Hoyas to just 240 yards of total offense, including only 55 passing yards. Senior linebacker C.J. Martin (Plano, Texas) led Holy Cross with 11 total tackles, while sophomore defensive end Gary Acquah (Bronx, N.Y.) added 10 tackles with two tackles for loss. On the offensive side of the ball, senior quarterback Ryan Taggart (Bedford, Texas) completed 21 of 34 passes for 155 yards, and junior tailback Eddie Houghton (Toronto, Ontario) rushed for 78 yards on 15 carries.

Georgetown opened the scoring at the 8:41-mark of the first quarter on an 18-yard field goal by Brett Weiss. The Crusaders drove across midfield on two of their next four possessions, but one drive was stopped by an interception, and the second drive ended with Holy Cross unable to get off a 40-yard field goal attempt. Weiss then kicked a 37-yard field goal with 1:16 left in the second quarter, and the Hoyas led 6-0 at halftime.

On Georgetown's opening drive of the third quarter, Isaiah Kempf scored on a 27-yard run, to make the score 12-0. The Crusaders drove inside the Hoyas' 20-yard line on each of their next two possessions, but they were stopped both times when going for it on fourth down. Georgetown then increased its lead to 19-0 with 2:37 left in the fourth quarter on a 34-yard touchdown run by Wilburn Logan. Holy Cross avoided the shutout with a nine-yard touchdown run by Taggart on its next drive. The Crusaders did recover the ensuing onside kick, but were unable to score again as the Hoyas held on for the victory.

Holy Cross returns to action next Saturday, Nov. 5, when they travel to Lehigh for a 12:30 p.m. game.