Holy Cross Downs Maine 57-54

Phil Beans

Video: Postgame Interview with Jordan Stevens

Video: Postgame Interview with Milan Brown

Video: Game Highlights

WORCESTER, Mass. – Senior center Phil Beans (Toledo, Ohio) scored a career-high 19 points and pulled down eight rebounds, to lead the Holy Cross men's basketball team to a 57-54 victory over Maine at the Hart Center. Beans hit seven of 13 shots from the field, including two of four three-point attempts, and all three of his free throws. The Crusaders improve to 3-1 on the season with the victory, while the Black Bears fall to 0-2. Holy Cross also improves to 74-17 all-time in home openers.

The game was tied at 50-50 with four minutes to play, when Beans stole the ball and laid it in to give the Crusaders the lead for good. On the next possession, Beans hit a three-point field goal and Holy Cross led 55-50 with 3:16 left to play. After both teams were held scoreless for over two minutes, Alasdair Fraser hit a pair of layups for the Black Bears, the second coming with just 5.6 seconds to go, making the score 55-54. But junior forward Dave Dudzinski (Elburn, Ill.) drained a pair of free throws to put the Crusaders back up by three, and a three-point attempt Maine's Xavier Pollard at the buzzer was no good as Holy Cross held on for the win.

Senior guard Jordan Stevens (Gansevoort, N.Y.) posted his first career double-double with 13 points, a career-high 10 rebounds and five assists, while Dudzinski added 10 points and nine rebounds. The Black Bears were led by Fraser with game-highs of 21 points, 15 rebounds and four blocked shots.

The Crusaders had opened the game by jumping out to an 8-4 lead, before Maine went on a 16-2 run to claim a 10-point advantage (20-10) with six minutes to go in the first half. Holy Cross came right back with an 11-2 spurt of its own, and would go on to regain the lead (27-25) heading into the locker room.

Still up by two (30-28) early in the second half, the Crusaders scored eight straight points to extend their lead to double figures (38-28). Holy Cross would eventually go up by as many as 11 points, and was still up by seven (50-43) with seven minutes remaining. The Black Bears then used a 7-0 run to tie up the score at 50-50, before the Crusaders went on to pull out the victory in the closing minutes.

Holy Cross returns to action on Wednesday, Nov. 21, when it travels to St. John's for a 7:30 p.m. game that will be shown live on SportsNet New York.