Baseball Concludes Patriot League Play With Navy
April 21, 2009
Holy Cross Baseball
Overall Record: 17-22 (8-6 PL); Last Week: 4-2
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 13, Central Connecticut, 10, 4/14
Dartmouth 7, Holy Cross 6, Worcester, Mass., 4/15
Lafayette 10, Holy Cross 1, Easton, Pa., 4/18
Holy Cross 14, Lafayette 10, Easton, Pa., 4/18
Holy Cross 4, Lafayette 1, Easton, Pa., 4/19
Holy Cross 7, Lafayette 4, Easton, Pa., 4/19
Schedule: Wednesday, April 22 vs. Brown (DH), Worcester, Mass., 4/6:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 25 vs. Navy (DH), Worcester, Mass., 3/5:30 p.m.
Sunday, April 26 vs. Navy (DH), Worcester, Mass., 1/3:30 p.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball team begins a six-game home stand with a doubleheader against Brown on Wednesday, April 22. Last year, the teams split the series with Brown winning the first game, 5-3, and the Crusaders picking up a 14-12 victory in game two. Senior Jake Gorman (Norfolk, Mass.) went 3-for-8 including a two-run home run and a double while sophomore Eric Oxford (Danvers, Mass.) went 2-for-4 with a double and four RBI.
- Holy Cross will host Navy in a four-game Patriot League series on April 25-26. The Crusaders are currently ranked third in the league with an 8-6 record while Navy stands at 7-9 in Patriot League play. Last season, the Midshipmen won three of the four games during the regular season by scores of 6-5 in nine innings and 9-3 in the first doubleheader. The teams split the second doubleheader with Holy Cross winning the first game, 11-5, and falling in game two, 2-1. During the second doubleheader against Navy, Oxford went 3-for-8 with a double, three RBI and two runs scored.
- The Crusaders will be raising Breast Cancer Awareness throughout Saturday’s doubleheader with Navy, selling Holy Cross Breast Cancer Awareness hats and donating the proceeds to the foundation.
- During Sunday’s doubleheader, Holy Cross will hold its annual Senior Day, honoring the Class of 2009 seniors Billy Cupelo, Jake Gorman, Tim Hughes and Dan Seip. The Crusaders will also hold its first annual Junior Day, an event inviting 2010 high school graduates to visit Holy Cross, watch the Crusaders in action and introduce themselves to the coaching staff.
- The teams also met in the Patriot League tournament on May 10-11, with Holy Cross picking up a 6-0 win in the first game and dropping the next two, 12-1 and 9-5. Junior Bobby Holmes (Dedham, Mass.) earned the post-season win, pitching six innings and giving up just three hits while striking out three batters. Junior Ryan George (Seekonk, Mass.) earned the save, giving up two hits and striking out four batters in three innings pitched.
- Freshman Steve Tkowski (Bourne, Mass.) has been named the Patriot League Rookie of the Week for his performance during the week of April 13-20. Starting in all four Patriot League games, Tkowski finished the week with an 8-for-14 performance, helping the Crusaders take three of the four games played in league action against Lafayette on April 18-19. This is Tkowski's first weekly career award. He is also the first Crusader to receive this award in three seasons. In game two of the doubleheader on April 18, he went 2-for-4 including three runs scored, two RBI and hitting his first collegiate home run. In the Crusaders win in the finale of the series, Tkowski had a 3-for-4 performance at the plate driving in three runs and scoring one run.
- Holy Cross beat Central Connecticut, 13-10, on Tuesday, April 14, as junior Matt Perry (Sudbury, Mass.) led the team with a 4-for-6 day at the plate with four runs scored and two RBI.
- In the Crusaders’ game against Dartmouth on Wednesday, April 15, Gorman hit a grand slam.
- On Saturday, Oxford hit two home runs, including a grand slam while Perry went 5-for-10 on the day with a double, two RBI and two runs scored. Tkowksi went 4-for-7 on the day with a home run, a double, three runs scored and two RBI.
- On Sunday, junior John Sills (Milton, Mass.) went 4-for-8 including one home run, one double, two runs scored and two RBI. Holmes pitched his first complete game of the year while giving up four runs on 11 hits and struck six batters in nine innings.