HC Travels To Lafayette For Weekend League Series
April 14, 2009
Holy Cross Baseball
Overall Record: 13-20 (5-5 PL); Last Week: 1-4
Scoreboard: Hartford 13, Holy Cross 12 (10 innings), West Hartford, Conn., 4/8
Bucknell 2, Holy Cross 1, Worcester, Mass., 4/12
Bucknell 15, Holy Cross 3, Worcester, Mass., 4/12
Bucknell 10, Holy Cross 5, Worcester, Mass., 4/13
Holy Cross 11, Bucknell 7, Worcester, Mass., 4/13
Schedule: Tuesday, April 14 at Central Conn., New Britan, Conn. 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, April 15 vs. Dartmouth, Worcester, Mass., 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 18 at Lafayette (DH), Easton, Pa., 12/2:30 p.m.
Sunday, April 19 at Lafayette (DH), Easton, Pa., 12/2:30 p.m.
Tuesday, April 21 at Maine, Sanford, Maine, 5:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball team will travel to Central Connecticut on April 14 and then host Dartmouth on Wednesday, April 15, at 4:00 p.m. Last season, the Crusaders fell to host Dartmouth, 11-5, with senior Jake Gorman (Norfolk, Mass.) and sophomore Brendan McCrea (Hicksville, N.Y.) both hitting solo home runs.
- Holy Cross takes to the road this weekend, traveling to Lafayette on April 18-19 for two Patriot League doubleheaders. The Crusaders are currently in fourth place in the league with a 5-5 record while the Leopards top the standings with a 7-5 record. During the 2008 season, Holy Cross won three of four games at Lafayette, sweeping the first doubleheader by scores of 2-1 and 6-1 while splitting the second twinbill, dropping the first game, 6-3, and picking up a 12-5 win in the second game. In the first win of the four-game series, junior Matt Shapiro (Raynham, Mass.) threw a complete game, giving up just two hits and one run while striking out three batters in seven innings. Junior John Sills (Milton, Mass.) led the Crusaders in the first doubleheader with a triple and a run scored while junior Matt Perry (Sudbury, Mass.) had two doubles, two RBI and one run scored in the second doubleheader.
- Holy Cross wraps up its five-game road trip at Maine on Tuesday, April 21, at 5:00 p.m. The last meeting between the teams was during the 2006 season, with Maine winning, 4-3.
- Last week, Gorman went 2-for-3 with three runs scored and four runs batted in the loss against Hartford.
- Senior Billy Cupelo (Franklin, Mass.) went 4-for-6 with two RBI during Sunday’s doubleheader against Bucknell.
- Sophomore Eric Oxford (Danvers, Mass.) had two doubles, four RBI and scored two runs in Monday’s two games versus Bucknell.
- Freshman Nate Koneski (North Dighton, Mass.) picked up the win in series finale, pitching a career-high eight and 1/3 innings and striking out a career-high six batters.