April 7, 2009
Holy Cross Baseball
Overall Record: 12-16 (4-2 PL); Last Week: 4-2
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 6, Massachusetts 5, Worcester, 3/31
Holy Cross 12, Harvard 11, Cambridge, Mass., 4/1
Holy Cross 11, Army 2, West Point, N.Y., 4/4
Holy Cross 10, Army 4, West Point, N.Y., 4/4
Army 8, Holy Cross 1, West Point, N.Y., 4/5
Army 5, Holy Cross 2, West Point, N.Y.
Schedule: Wednesday, April 8 at Hartford, West Hartford, Conn., 3:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 11 vs. Bucknell (DH), Worcester, Mass., 3/5:30 p.m.
Sunday, April 12 vs. Bucknell (DH), Worcester, Mass., 12/2:30 p.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball team wraps up a six-game road trip at Hartford on Wednesday, April 8, with a game scheduled at 3:00 p.m. Last season, the Crusaders beat visiting Hartford, 12-11, as senior Tim Hughes (Andover, Mass.) led the team with four runs scored and two RBI.
- Holy Cross returns home for Patriot League action, hosting Bucknell on April 11-12, for two doubleheaders. The Crusaders currently lead the Patriot League with a 4-2 record while the Bison stand at 4-4. During the 2008 season, the Crusaders traveled to Bucknell, splitting the first doubleheader with an 8-4 loss in the first game and an 8-0 shutout win in game two. In the second doubleheader versus the Bison, Holy Cross dropped both games by scores of 3-0 and 7-6. In the Crusaders lone win at Bucknell, junior Bobby Holmes (Dedham, Mass.) threw a complete game, pitching nine scoreless innings and scattering five hits while striking out three batters.
- Junior Matt Perry (Sudbury, Mass.) was named the Patriot League Player of the Week for his performance during the week of March 31-April 5. Perry batted .500 (12-24) last week, including hitting four home runs and three doubles, driving in 10 RBI and scoring eight runs. He had a 5-for-8 performance with three home runs and six runs batted in during the Crusaders’ sweep of the doubleheader at Army on Saturday, April 4. Perry also went 3-for-5 against Harvard, driving in three runs and scoring three runs. Perry hit a solo home run in the 6-5 win over visiting Massachusetts.
- Perry is currently tied for second in the league in doubles (10) and is fourth in batting average (.387). He also leads the league in on base percentage (.484) and slugging percentage (.688).
- Sophomore Eric Oxford (Danvers, Mass.) hit a walk-off home run in the bottom of the ninth inning to lead Holy Cross to a 6-5 win over Massachusetts on Tuesday, March 31.
- Oxford and Perry are both tied for first in the Patriot League in home runs, each driving in six so far this season.
- Junior Ryan George (Seekonk, Mass.) currently tops the Patriot League in saves this season with five, also ranking him 38th on the NCAA individual list.
- Senior Dan Seip (North Carver, Mass.) recorded his first complete game in the first game of Saturday’s doubleheader at Army, pitching seven innings and giving up two runs on seven hits while striking out three batters.
- Holy Cross’ seven-game winning streak this season marks the longest winning streak for the team since 1991, in which the Crusaders won eight straight games.