March 31, 2009
Holy Cross Travels To Army
March 31, 2009
Weekly Baseball Crusader notes.
Overall Record: 8-14 (2-0 PL); Last Week: 3-1
Scoreboard: Connecticut 9, Holy Cross 3, Storrs, Conn., 3/24
Holy Cross 8, Boston College 2, Worcester, Mass., 3/25
Holy Cross 6, Lehigh 5, Worcester, Mass., 3/28
Holy Cross 7, Lehigh 6, Worcester, Mass., 3/28
Schedule: Tuesday, March 31 vs. Massachusetts, Worcester, Mass., 3:00 p.m.
Wednesday, April 1 at Harvard, Cambridge, Mass., 3:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 4 at Army (DH), West Point, N.Y., 12/2:20 p.m.
Sunday, April 5 at Army (DH), West Point, N.Y., 12/2:20 p.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball team hosts Massachusetts on Tuesday, March 31, for a game scheduled at 3:00 p.m. and then travels to Harvard on Wednesday, April 1 at 3:00 p.m.
- Last season, the Crusaders fell to host Massachusetts, 16-9 and then picked up a 4-3 win over Harvard, as sophomore Eric Oxford (Danvers, Mass.) drove in the winning run on a triple in the bottom of the eighth inning.
- The Crusaders will make their first league road trip this weekend, traveling to Army on April 4-5 for two Patriot League doubleheaders. During the 2008 season, Holy Cross hosted the Black Knights, splitting the series. Holy Cross won the first game, 9-0, and dropped game two, 16-0 in the first doubleheader. In the second doubleheader, the Crusaders won, 2-1, and lost the series finale, 8-1. In the first game of the series, junior Matt Shapiro (Raynham, Mass.) threw his second career complete game shutout.
- The Crusaders opened their league play on Saturday, March 28, sweeping a doubleheader against Lehigh by scores of 6-5 and 7-6. The second doubleheader against the Mountain Hawks has been postponed due to inclement weather. A make up date has yet to be determined.
- Junior Matt Perry (Sudbury, Mass.) had one home run and one double for three RBI against Lehigh. Sophomore Brendan McCrea (Hicksville, N.Y.) went 3-for-6 on the day with one home run and one double for two RBI in the league doubleheader.
- Sophomore Nick Ciardiello (Edison, N.J.) had a three-run home run and double for five RBI to lead Holy Cross over Boston College on Wednesday, March 25. The win also marked the first time Holy Cross has beaten Boston College since 1994, when the Crusaders picked up a 9-1 win on May 1, 1994. Sophomore Chris Blanchard (Norwich, Conn.) earned his first collegiate win against the Eagles, pitching five innings and giving up two runs on five hits while striking out four batters.