Overall: 7-14 (1-1 Patriot League); Last Week: 1-1 (1-1 Patriot League)
Lafayette 3, Holy Cross 2, Worcester, Mass., 3/29
Holy Cross 6, Lafayette 5, Worcester, Mass., 3/29
Tuesday, April 1 vs. Hartford, Worcester, Mass., 5:00 p.m. | Live stats | Video
Wednesday, April 2, vs. Marist, Worcester, Mass., 5:00 p.m. | Live stats | Video
Saturday, April 5 at Navy (DH), Annapolis Md., 12:00 p.m. | Live stats
Sunday, April 6 at Navy (DH), Annapolis, Md., 12:00 p.m. | Live stats | Video
- The Holy Cross baseball team (7-14 overall, 1-1 Patriot League) played a pair of contests last week in its home opener versus Lafayette on Saturday, March 29 at Fitton Field. The Leopards won the first game of the twin bill, 3-2, but the Crusaders earned the 6-5 win in the second contest. Holy Cross had a pair of midweek non-conference games postponed, at UMass (March 25) and versus Harvard (March 26) due to field conditions, as well as its Patriot League doubleheader versus Lafayette (March 30). The game versus UMass will be made up on April 29, while the contests versus Harvard and Lafayette will be made up at a date to be announced later.
- This week, the Crusaders are slated to play six games, beginning with a pair of mid-week non-conference contests at Fitton Field versus Hartford (Tuesday, April 1) and Marist (Wednesday, April 2). Both games will start at 5:00 p.m. Holy Cross will then travel to Navy on Saturday and Sunday, April 5-6 for a four-game Patriot League series. The doubleheaders on Saturday and Sunday will begin at 12:00 p.m.
- Hartford comes into Tuesday's game with a 12-9 overall record, while Marist holds a 7-16 mark with one game on Tuesday, April 1 at Stony Brook. As of Tuesday, Navy is 13-15 and 0-4 in the Patriot League after it was swept by Bucknell during the opening weekend. The Mids will play one mid-week game on Wednesday, April 2 at home versus Coppin State before they entertain the Crusaders.
- Holy Cross freshmen Bill Schlich (Massapequa, N.Y.) led the Crusaders offensively with a 2-for-5 performance at the plate with one run, a double and three RBIs. He drove in the game-winning run in the bottom of the eighth inning during game two to give the Crusaders the lead.
- Crusader freshman Anthony Critelli (Holmdel, N.J.) led Holy Cross with a .600 average during the doubleheader (3-for-5), as he had a double and a pair of runs scored. Critelli currently leads the Crusaders with a .380 batting average.
- Holy Cross freshman starting pitcher Ben White (Holden, Mass.) earned the start in the first game of the twin bill and pitched well. Although he was charged with the loss (0-2), White tossed 6.1 innings and allowed three runs (one earned) on three hits, while striking out a career-best 10 batters. White holds the best earned-run average on the team at 3.45, while he also leads the squad with 24 punchouts. For his performance, White was named Patriot League Rookie of the Week.
- First year pitcher Jon Escobar (Inverness, Ill.) picked up his second save of the season, as he closed out the bottom of the ninth in the game-two victory.
- Holy Cross junior Evan Ocello (Camarillo, Calif.) and sophomores Connor Perry (Haverhill, Mass.) and Nick Lovullo (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) each had two hits during Saturday's doubleheader. Ocello holds a .367 batting average with a team-best 20 runs scored and 33 hits.
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross baseball team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup