Crusaders To Play Pair Of Non-Conference Games This Week
Overall: 25-22, (15-5 Patriot); Last Week: 3-2
Scoreboard: Siena 9, Holy Cross 4; Worcester, Mass., 4/24
Army 10, Holy Cross 6; West Point, N.Y., 4/27
Holy Cross 10, Army 7; West Point N.Y., 4/27
Holy Cross 2, Army 0; West Point, N.Y., 4/28
Holy Cross 11; Army 9; West Point, N.Y., 4/28
Schedule: Wednesday, May 1 at Connecticut; Storrs, Conn., 3:00 p.m.
Saturday, May 4 vs. Anna Maria; Worcester, Mass., 12:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball team went 3-2 last week, including a 3-1 series win over Army on Saturday and Sunday, April 27-28 to clinch the Patriot League regular-season title for the first time in school history. Holy Cross improves its record to 25-22 overall and 15-5 in the conference. The 15-5 mark in league play is the best over the 23-year history of the Patriot League as the previous best was 13-7 in 2012. Holy Cross will host the first round of the Patriot League Tournament during the weekend of Saturday and Sunday, May 11-12 versus No. 4 seed Bucknell.
- This week, the Crusaders will play a pair of non-conference games in preparation for the Patriot League Tournament. On Wednesday, May 1, Holy Cross will travel to Storrs, Conn. to take on Connecticut at 3:00 p.m. On Saturday, May 4, the Crusaders will entertain cross-town opponent Anna Maria at Fitton Field with the first pitch beginning at 12:00 p.m.
- Holy Cross sophomore pitcher Donny Murray (Walpole, Mass.) was named Patriot League Pitcher of the Week for the first time in his career from his performance versus Army on Sunday, April 28. In the first game of the twinbill, Murray tossed a seven-inning complete game one-hitter in helping the Crusaders clinch the No.1 seed and regular-season title. Murray did not allow any runs as he issued two free passes and had five strikeouts. This season, Murray is 5-3 with a 4.94 ERA and a career-best 45 strikeouts.
- Sophomore Evan Ocello (Camarillo, Calif.) had a great week at the plate for the Crusaders. He batted 9-for-22 (.409) with six runs scored, two doubles and one RBI. During the second game on Saturday versus the Black Knights, Ocello went 4-for-6 with three runs scored. For the season, Ocello leads the Patriot League with a .529 slugging percentage, 43 runs scored and 62 hits. He is second in the conference with a .360 batting average, a .453 on-base percentage and 91 total bases. Ocello is also third in home runs with three, fourth with a trio of triples and sixth with 13 stolen bases. All of the previously mentioned categories are career highs for Ocello.
- Holy Cross junior infielder Mike Ahmed (East Longmeadow, Mass.) slugged two home runs during last week's contests. The Crusaders co-captain now has four on the season, which ranks him second in the Patriot League behind Holy Cross senior outfielder Patrick Puentes (East Greenbush, N.Y.), who has seven. Ahmed is now batting .280 with 28 runs scored, 35 hits, six doubles and 24 RBIs. With his home run total, Puentes is tied for fifth on the single-season long-ball list and ranks fifth all-time in Holy Cross history with 17 career homers.
- Holy Cross senior pitcher John Colella (Herndon, Va.) performed well out of the bullpen, as the co-captain picked up a pair of saves on the week, moving his total to six this season. Last week, Colella tossed 3.2 scoreless innings and allowed only one hit and two walks, while striking out five batters. For the season, he sports a 3.73 ERA with 44 strikeouts in 41.0 innings pitched. He is one save shy of tying the Patriot League all-time record of 27.
- Senior first baseman Jordan Enos (Stockton, Calif.) leads the Patriot League with 18 doubles this season, which also ranks him 11th in the nation. Holy Cross as a team rank 22nd in the country in total doubles with 91 total this season. The Crusaders also lead the Patriot League in many offensive categories. The categories are: batting average (.292), runs scored (282), doubles (91), home runs (22) and slugging percentage (.411).
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross baseball team sent directly to your email. To sign up for e-mail alerts click here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.