Holy Cross To Host Lehigh This Weekend
Overall: 16-20; Last Week: 2-4
Scoreboard: Central Connecticut 5, Holy Cross 4; New Britain, Conn., 4/9
Dartmouth 19, Holy Cross 4; Worcester, Mass., 4/10
Holy Cross 3, Navy 0; Worcester, Mass., 4/13
Holy Cross 10, Navy 9; Worcester, Mass., 4/13
Navy 5, Holy Cross 1; Worcester, Mass., 4/14
Navy 7, Holy Cross 1; Worcester, Mass., 4/14
Schedule: Wednesday, April 17 vs. Brown (DH); Worcester, Mass., 4:30 p.m.
Saturday, April 20 vs. Lehigh (DH); Worcester, Mass., 2:00 p.m.
Sunday, April 21 vs. Lehigh (DH); Worcester, Mass., 12:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball team went 2-4 over the past week and split the weekend Patriot League series with Navy. The Crusaders lost a pair of non-conference games to Central Connecticut (5-4) on Tuesday, April 9 and Dartmouth (19-4) on Wednesday, April 10. Holy Cross won both games versus Navy on Saturday, April 13, 3-0 and 10-9, but the Crusaders dropped both contests on Sunday, April 14 to the Mids, 5-1 and 7-1. Holy Cross is now 16-20 overall as its Patriot League record now stands at 8-4. The Crusaders hold a one-game lead atop the Patriot League standings, with Army and Bucknell at 7-5 in conference games.
- This week, Holy Cross will play six contests at Fitton Field, beginning with a non-conference twinbill versus Brown on Wednesday, April 17 at 4:30 p.m. The Crusaders will also entertain Lehigh on Saturday and Sunday, April 20-21. The doubleheader on Saturday will begin at 1:00 p.m., while the games on Sunday will start at 12:00 p.m.
- Brown enters Wednesday with a 3-24 overall record as it has dropped its past eight contests. Lehigh will play Penn on April 17 before it makes the trip to Worcester for the weekend. As of Tuesday, the Mountain Hawks' record stands at 18-19 overall as they are in fifth place in the Patriot League with a 5-7 record. Lehigh split the conference-opening weekend with Army, as Bucknell won three of the four contests played versus the Mountain Hawks this past weekend.
- Holy Cross senior pitcher Tom Marra (Sea Cliff, N.Y.) was named Patriot League Pitcher of the Week for the first time in his career as he helped the Crusaders to a 3-0 victory over Navy on Saturday, April 13. Marra spun a gem as he tossed a complete game shutout in the seven inning affair. He only allowed two hits and pair of walks, while he fanned nine batters. In Patriot League games this season, Marra is 2-0 with a 0.90 ERA. For the season, Marra is 2-3 with a 4.58 ERA. He has allowed 22 runs (20 earned) on 19 hits, while retiring 27 via strikeout.
- Crusaders senior first baseman/catcher Jordan Enos (Stockton, Calif.) had a great week at the plate, as he batted .455 (10-for-22) with three runs, three doubles, one home run and five RBIs. Enos leads the Patriot League with a .393 batting average, a .566 slugging percentage and 15 doubles, while he is tied for first with 28 RBIs. He ranks second in the conference with 48 hits, third in total bases and tied for sixth in home runs.
- During the second game of the doubleheader on Saturday, April 13, Holy Cross walked off with the victory as junior co-captain Mike Ahmed (East Longmeadow, Mass.) hit a game-winning single to score sophomore Jack St. Clair (Newton, Mass.) and claim the 10-9 victory.
- Also on Saturday, Holy Cross junior second baseman Andrew Barry (Puyallup, Wash.) had a solid day at the dish, as he batted 6-for-8 with two runs and four RBIs.
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross baseball team sent directly to your email. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.