Crusaders Head To Nevada To Begin West Coast Swing
Overall: 1-3; Last Week: 1-3
Scoreboard: #24 Virginia Tech 7, Holy Cross 5, Blacksburg, Va., 2/23
Delaware 9, Holy Cross 8, Blacksburg, Va., 2/23
Temple 13, Holy Cross 12, Blacksburg, Va., 2/24
Holy Cross 8, Temple 6, Blacksburg, Va., 2/24
Schedule: Saturday, March 2 at Nevada; Reno, Nev., 2:00 p.m. (DH)
Sunday, March 3 at Nevada; Reno, Nev., 4:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball team opened the 2013 season with four games in Blacksburg, Va. this past weekend. The Crusaders went 1-3 overall with losses to No. 24 Virginia Tech (7-5), Delaware (9-8) and Temple (13-12), while winning the second game in the doubleheader versus the Owls (8-6).
- This weekend, the Crusaders will begin their west coast trip with a trio of games versus Nevada on Saturday, March 2 and Sunday, March 3. Holy Cross will open with a double header on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. Eastern Time, while its game on Sunday will start at 4:00 p.m. The Wolfpack are 5-3 on the young season after winning three of four versus Northern Illinois last weekend. This will be the first meeting between these two teams. The games can be followed on Live Stats or watched on Live Video.
- For their performances this past weekend, sophomore Evan Ocello (Camarillo, Calif.) and freshman Nick Lovullo (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) were named Patriot League Player and Rookie of the Week, respectively. This was the first career Patriot League award for either player.
- Ocello went 6-for-11 on the week with six runs scored, a double, a triple and three runs batted in. He went 2-for-4 with a run scored in the 7-5 loss to No. 24 Virginia Tech and followed that with a 3-for-3 outing with two runs in the 13-12 loss to Temple during the first game of the doubleheader. In the final game of the weekend, Ocello had a pair of runs and stolen bases as the Crusaders defeated the Owls in the second game, 8-6.
- Lovullo made three starts this past weekend and combined to go 5-for-11 with a team-best seven runs scored. He also had five runs batted in and a pair of doubles. Lovullo went 2-for-3 with a pair of runs and one RBI in the 9-8 loss to Delaware. He scored three times in the loss to Temple in game one and finished the weekend by going 2-for-4, with a pair of runs and RBIs versus the Owls.
- Junior third baseman and pitcher Mike Ahmed (East Longmeadow, Mass.) did it all last weekend for Holy Cross. He went 5-for-17 with four runs scored, five RBIs and one home run. He also picked up the win on the mound in the second game versus Temple as the junior went five innings and allowed two runs on five hits with one walk and five strikeouts.
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross baseball team sent directly to your email. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.