Overall Record: 10-9 (0-0 PL) Last Week: 3-2
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 3, Boston College 1, Chestnut Hill, Mass., 3/17
Columbia 6, Holy Cross 0, Worcester, Mass., 3/24
Columbia 3, Holy Cross 1, Worcester, Mass., 3/24
Holy Cross 3, Stony Brook 1, Worcester, Mass., 3/25
Holy Cross 5, Stony Brook 3, Worcester, Mass., 3/25
Schedule: Tuesday, March 27 at UMass, Amherst, Mass., 3:00 p.m.
Wednesday, March 28 vs. Harvard, Worcester, Mass., 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 31 at Bucknell, Lewisburg, Pa., 12:00/2:30 p.m.
Sunday, April 1 at Bucknell, Lewisburg, Pa., 12:00/2:30 p.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball will play in a total of six games this upcoming week, beginning with two local match-ups and then starting Patriot League action over the weekend. The Crusaders travel to UMass on Tuesday, March 27 for a 3:00 p.m. game at Earl Lorden Field in Amherst, Mass. Harvard then visits Worcester for a 5:00 p.m. game on Wednesday, March 28. The week wraps up with a four-game series at conference-foe Bucknell. Saturday's games, featuring a seven and nine-inning doubleheader, start at noon. Sunday's doubleheader is a repeat of Saturday's slate with all games being held at Depew Field in Lewisburg, Pa.
- The Crusaders and Minutemen have met a total of 60 times in program history with UMass holding a 35-26-2 advantage overall. The series dates back to 1905. Holy Cross won its 26th victory over the Minutemen last season, 14-4, and lost the last meeting on Earl Lorden Field, 12-10, in 2010. Massachusetts currently owns a 4-7 record as Tuesday's game serves as its home opener. They took two out of three from Atlantic 10 opponent, Fordham, over this past weekend. They are led by head coach Mike Stone in his 25th season.
- Holy Cross is 106-54 all-time against Ivy League foe Harvard, with the series dating back to 1890. The Crimson are currently 1-16 on the 2012 season. They have lost 11 straight, including four losses to Patriot League opponent Army. Holy Cross won last season's meeting, 11-6, and earned a 14-1 decision that last time the two played on Fitton Field, back in 2010. Harvard is led by Joe Walsh in his 17th season.
- This weekend's Patriot League doubleheader will serve as the 76th-80th meetings between the Crusaders and Bison, with Bucknell owning a 42-33 edge in the all-time series. The teams first met back in 1991. Holy Cross took three of four in the series last season and in the 2010 season. With those results, Holy Cross is 6-2 in the last two meetings with the Bison. Bucknell currently stands at 11-10 on the 2012 season, splitting this past weekend?s series with Saint Joseph's. The Bison are also 2-1 at home and will host Binghamton in a doubleheader on Tuesday before hosting the Crusaders.
- Junior righty John Colella (Herndon, Va.) earned Holy Cross? Crusader of the Week award for his performances in last week?s action. During Tuesday's 3-1 victory at Boston College, Colella threw two scoreless innings of relief to earn the save. He allowed two singles and one walk to the Eagles, while striking out four of the eight batters he faced. Then in Sunday's 5-3 win over Stony Brook, Collella earned the victory with 2-1/3 shutout innings to end the game. He retired all seven batters he faced against the Seawolves, striking out three.
- Junior Chris Kono (Greenwich, Conn.) also shined for the Crusaders on the mound last week. The 6'5" lefty threw a team-high 13.2 innings and picked up a 1-0 record on the mound. He was lights out against Boston College, earning the win and then threw 6.2 innings in the no-decision against Stony Brook. He boasted a 2.63 ERA on the week, tying the team-high with eight strikeouts in all.