Crusaders Ready For Home Opener This Weekend
Overall Record: 7-7 (0-0 PL) Last Week: 2-1
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 10, Albany 9 (10), Queens, N.Y., 3/17
St. John's 13, Holy Cross 4, Queens, N.Y., 3/18
Holy Cross 4, Albany 3, Queens, N.Y., 3/18
Schedule: Tuesday, March 20 at Boston College, Chestnut Hill, Mass., 3:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 24 vs. Columbia, Worcester, Mass., 1:00/3:30 p.m.
Sunday, March 25 vs. Stony Brook, Worcester, Mass., 1:00/3:30 p.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball team begins its local slate this upcoming week, first playing at in-state rival Boston College on Tuesday, March 20 before hosting Columbia for a doubleheader in the Fitton Field opener on Saturday, March 24. The week wraps up with a doubleheader against Stony Brook at Fitton Field on Sunday, March 25. Tuesday's game will start at 3:00 p.m. at Shea Field in Chestnut Hill, Mass. while both weekend doubleheaders begin at 1:00 p.m. in Worcester.
- Holy Cross is 130-83-1 all-time against Boston-based rival Boston College, with the series dating back to 1890. The Crusaders picked up the 130th win last season, topping the Eagles 3-2 in Worcester. Boston College is currently 6-11 on the season as Tuesday serves as its home opener. The squad has lost 10 straight, including all six of its ACC contests. Holy Cross has taken two of the last three contests, but has lost the last two meetings at Shea Field.
- This weekend's doubleheader will serve as the 30th meeting between the Crusaders and Columbia, with Holy Cross owning a 22-7 all-time record. The teams first met back in 1899. The two played a weekend doubleheader series last season, with Holy Cross coming away with a 2-2 record, splitting the games on both days. The Lions currently sit at 3-11 on the season, dropping three of four games in their last series against San Diego. Columbia will host weekend opponent Stony Brook on Friday before making the trip to Worcester.
- Sunday's doubleheader against Stony Brook serves as the first meeting between the two teams in program history. The Seawolves are Holy Cross' second America East conference opponent this season as the squad recently played Albany, taking two games. Stony Brook boasts an 11-6 record thus far, taking three of four games from common opponent Yale the last time out. The Seawolves will play Fordham on Tuesday and Columbia on Friday before traveling to Worcester.
- Head coach Greg DiCenzo's squad went 2-1 in last week's action. The team's second victory, a 4-3 win over Albany, marked his 100th career victory as head coach. His career record at Holy Cross is now 100-111-1. He becomes the fifth Holy Cross head coach to reach the milestone and first since Jack Whalen, who retired in the 1998 season.
- Junior Tom Marra (Sea Cliff, N.Y.) has emerged as one of the team's top starters after his last two outings from the mound. In his last two starts, Marra has lasted through at least the seventh inning, including a career-best eight inning start against Albany on March 18. He allowed just two earned runs in Sunday's contest and the March 11 contest against Winthrop, where he threw a full seven innings. He totaled nine strikeouts over the two games and posts 14 strikeouts on the season.