Overall Record: 0-0 (0-0 PL) Last Week: 0-0
Schedule: Friday, Feb. 24 at No. 7 Texas A&M, College Station, Texas, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 25 at No. 7 Texas A&M, College Station, Texas, 3:00 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 26 at No. 7 Texas A&M, College Station, Texas, 1:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball team opens up the 2012 season with a three-game series against the seventh-ranked Texas A&M Aggies. The Aggies are ranked seventh in the nation by Baseball America and opened up their season with a three-game sweep over the Illinois-Chicago Flames. Texas A&M was unanimously picked to win the 2012 league regular season title in the Big 12preseason poll and features 21 returning lettermen from its 2011 squad, including three All-Americans and a freshman All-American. Last season the Aggies appeared in the College World Series after tying for first in the Big 12.
- The Crusaders were selected to finish fourth in the 2012 Patriot League preseason poll while garnering two first-place votes. The team finished fifth in the conference last season with a 24-23-1 overall record, going 9-11 in the Patriot League and finishing over .500 for the first time since the 1991 season. The team also reached the 20-win mark for the fourth straight season, something that has not been achieved in the 136 year history of the program.
- Leading the group of returners will be senior captains Chris Sintetos (Bethesda, Md.) and Matt Croglio (Fayetteville, N.Y.). Last season Sintetos appeared in 25 games, making seven starts. He finished with six hits and five RBI, an on-base percentage of .359 and a slugging percentage of .387. He made two errors in 16 chances. Croglio made 10 starts on the mound last season, finishing with a 2-5 record. He had an ERA of 6.97 in 41.1 innings of work and struck out 26 batters.
- Junior RHP John Collela (Herndon, Va.) ended last season as the team's clutch closer. He boasted a team-low 3.00 ERA in 24 appearances and recorded nine saves with a 3-2 record. His nine saves rank first in the program's single season records book and also rank third on the career saves list. His 24 appearances also broke a single-season record, set by Tommy Arrigg in 2009. In all, Colella pitched 42 innings, allowed 14 earned runs, 16 walks and 40 strikeouts. He will be the team's go-to closer once again this season.
- Senior Nate Koneski (North Dighton, Mass.) returns as a starter this season after being named the 2011 Cape Cod Summer League's Top New England Prospect. Last season he started 10 contests on the mound, finishing with a 2-6 record and an ERA of 6.66 in 52.2 innings of work. Koneski struck out a team-high 63 batters, including 21 looking and was ranked 15th in the nation in strikeouts per nine innings (10.76).
- The squad also returns junior catcher Stephen Wadsworth (Wayland, Mass.) who was named the 2010 Patriot League Rookie of the Year. Last season, he recorded six multi-RBI games and wrapped up the season with an on-base percentage of .372.
- Last year, junior Alex Maldonado (Brooklyn, N.Y.) finished the season as the team's leader in hits. Maldonado put together 59 hits in 197 at-bats, which also ranked first on the team. His 59 hits tie for ninth in Holy Cross single-season records as he also finished with a .299 batting average. Maldonado also led the team in stolen bases, finishing with 14 swipes in 16 attempts. The 14 stolen bases tie for fifth in single-season records. He now has 30 career stolen bases, ranking fifth in the program's career records list.
- Head coach Greg DiCenzo enters his fifth season at the helm of the Holy Cross baseball team. He returns 21 letterwinners to his lineup and adds nine newcomers. With the results from the 2011 season, coach DiCenzo has now compiled a career record of 93-104-1, including 41 wins and 37 losses in Patriot League play over his four seasons.