Crusaders Set For Home Games This Week
Overall Record: 17-19-1 (5-7 PL) Last Week: 2-3
Scoreboard: Central Connecticut 16, Holy Cross 2, New Britain, Conn., 4/12
Holy Cross 6, Lafayette 5, Easton, Pa., 4/17
Lafayette 10, Holy Cross 6, Easton, Pa., 4/17
Lafayette 2, Holy Cross 1, Easton, Pa., 4/18
Holy Cross 14, Lafayette 10, Easton, Pa., 4/18
Schedule: Wednesday, April 20 vs. Brown, Worcester, Mass., 4:00/6:30 p.m.
Saturday, April 23 vs. Navy, Worcester, Mass., 1:00 p.m./3:30 p.m.
Sunday, April 24 vs. Navy, Worcester, Mass.,12:00 p.m./2:30 p.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball team has high hopes for its 11-game home stand, which begins with a doubleheader against Brown on Wednesday, April 20. The midweek game will serve as a doubleheader between the Crusaders and Bears; starting at 4:00 p.m. Navy then comes to town for the fourth weekend of Patriot League action, starting Saturday, April 23 and concluding on Sunday, April 24. Two sets of doubleheaders will be on tap for the weekend against the Midshipmen, with Saturday's set starting at 1:00 p.m. and Sunday at 12:00 p.m. All games will be played on Fitton Field.
- The Crusaders and Bears have met a total of 170 times over program history, with Holy Cross owning a 105-58-5 all-time record. The teams last played on April 21, 2010 with the Crusaders winning 8-5 and 18-11 in Providence, R.I. Brown currently has eight wins and 21 losses on the season, including a 3-18 record on the road. They most recently split four games in a Saturday/Sunday doubleheader against Harvard. Junior first basemen Mike DiBiase leads all starters offensively with a .323 batting average, scoring 11 runs and collecting 30 hits and 14 RBI in 93 at bats. Senior RHP Matthew Kimball posts the best ERA amongst starters, combining for a 3.38 ERA in six starts.
- This weekend's Patriot League doubleheader will serve as the 69-72nd meetings between the Crusaders and Navy, with the Midshipmen owning a 46-22 edge in the all-time series. The teams first met back in 1977 and the two teams split the four-game series last year. The Midshipmen split their last Patriot League weekend series with Bucknell and have a 7-5 record in league play, tying for first place. They are 22-16-1 overall on the year and 5-8-1 on the road. Junior outfielder Alex Azor leads all starters offensively, batting .363 with 38 runs, 58 hits and 25 RBI in 160 at-bats. Sophomore RHP Johnny Schoberl is the squad's top starter from the mound, starting in nine games thus far. He has an ERA of 4.40 in 47.0 innings pitched. The squad plays Maryland-Eastern Shore in midweek action before coming to Worcester.
- Senior Nick Ciardiello (Edison, N.J.) knocked out a home run in four of the five games played last week, including two in the first day of action against Lafayette. His third home run of the week broke the Holy Cross career home run record, set by Jake Gorman from 2006-2009. Ciardiello now has 23 home runs in his career, including seven this season, which ties for fourth amongst Holy Cross single season records.
- Sophomore Patrick Puentes (East Greenbush, N.Y.) broke out at the plate over the weekend, leading the team with seven RBI on the week. He went six-for-16 in five games played and recorded four extra base hits, including two doubles and two home runs. His home runs were the first for him this season as he now bats .269 overall, collecting 15 RBI, 18 hits and 10 runs scored.