Overall Record: 12-14-1 (0-4 PL) Last Week: 2-4
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 14, UMass 4, Worcester, Mass., 3/29
Holy Cross 11, Harvard 6, Cambridge, Mass., 3/30
Army 2, Holy Cross 1, West Point, N.Y., 4/2
Army 8, Holy Cross 3, West Point, N.Y., 4/2
Army 6, Holy Cross 2, West Point, N.Y., 4/3
Army 13, Holy Cross 7, West Point, N.Y., 4/3
Schedule: Tuesday, April 5 at Hartford, West Hartford, Conn., 3:00 p.m. (Postponed)
Wednesday, April 6 at Marist, Poughkeepsie, N.Y., 3:30 p.m.
Saturday, April 9 vs. Bucknell, Worcester, Mass., 3:00 p.m./5:30 p.m.
Sunday, April 10 vs. Bucknell, Worcester, Mass., 12:00 p.m./2:30 p.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball team looks to rebound with two road contests and a rematch of the 2010 Patriot League Championship this week. The squad was scheduled to open up with road action at Hartford, playing the Hawks on Tuesday, April 5, but the contests was postponed due to rain. The team will now travel first to Marist for a 3:30 p.m. game on Wednesday, April 6. The game will be played on the McCann Baseball Field in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. Patriot League competition heats back up over the weekend, with the reigning PL champs, Bucknell, coming to Worcester for a total of four games. The first doubleheader begins on Saturday, April 9 at 3:00 p.m. and wraps up on Sunday, April 10 starting at 12:00 p.m. All games will be played on Fitton Field
- Holy Cross played Marist for the first time in program history last season, falling 12-10 against the Red Foxes at Fitton Field. Marist is a hot 19-6 (4-2 MAAC) on the season after taking two out of three from conference-foe Canisius. The squad will play at Bucknell before returning home for Wednesday's contest. Junior Eric Helmrich leads the squad offensively, collecting a .456 batting average, 26 hits and 12 RBI in 17 games played. Senior LHP Sean McKeown is the squad's top hurler, appearing in eight games and combining for a 4-0 record overall. He has an ERA of 1.59 in 22.2 innings pitched.
- The Crusaders and Hawks have met just 12 times since 1975, with Holy Cross holding a 7-5 edge in the all-time series. The teams last played on April 8, 2009 with the Crusaders dropping a 13-12 decision in 10 innings. Hartford currently owns a 2-20-1 record, including a 1-5 record at home. They most recently lost three of four at the hands of NJIT in a Saturday/Sunday doubleheader. Freshman catcher James Alfonso leads all starters offensively with a .325 batting average, scoring 11 runs and collecting 25 hits and five RBI in 77 at bats. Sophomore RHP Anthony Mannuccia will start for the Hawks, as he boasts a 9.98 ERA in six appearances, including three starts.
- This weekend's Patriot League doubleheader will serve as the 72-75th meetings between the Crusaders and Bison, with Bucknell owning a 41-30 edge in the all-time series. The teams first met back in 1991. The Bison dropped three games to Lafayette in their Patriot League opening weekend and are 12-16 overall on the year. Junior outfielder Gerry Runyan leads all starters offensively, batting .344 with 15 runs, 33 hits and 23 RBI in 96 at-bats. Junior RHP Jack Boehm is the squad's top starter from the mound, starting in five games thus far. He has an ERA of 3.90 in 32.1 innings pitched.
- Sophomore designated hitter Josh Olson (Woodbury, Minn.) collected Patriot League honorable mention after breaking out at the plate for the squad this past week. In his first career start, Olson went four-for-five at the plate with three RBI in the team's 14-4 win over UMass. He also notched his first career home run against Army and finished the week with two home runs. In all six games last week, Olson went 10-for-23 at the plate with six RBI and seven runs scored.
- Sophomore Alex Maldonado (Brooklyn, N.Y.) has now tied his stolen base numbers from last season, currently leading the team with 13 steals. He also ranks second amongst Patriot League opponents in that category and now has 26 stolen bases in his young career. His 26 total steal are tied for sixth amongst Holy Cross career record holders. Maldonado also leads the team with 35 hits this season, ranking fourth amongst Patriot League players.