Overall Record: 7-8 (0-0 PL) Last Week: 2-1
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 15, Alabany10, Worcester, Mass., 3/18
Holy Cross 6, Albany 5, Worcester, Mass., 3/19
St. John's 8, Holy Cross 2, Worcester, Mass., 3/19
Schedule: Tuesday, March 22 at Connecticut, Storrs, Conn., 3:00 p.m.
Wednesday, March 23 vs. Boston College, Worcester, Mass., 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 26 at Columbia, New York, N.Y., 1:00 p.m./3:30 p.m.
Sunday, March 27 at Columbia, New York, N.Y., 12:00 p.m./2:30 p.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball team plays against two New England foes mid-week before traveling to New York City for a weekend doubleheader against Columbia. The Crusaders open up the week with a road trip to Storrs, Conn., playing Connecticut at 3:00 p.m. at the J.O. Christian Field. The Boston College Eagles visit Worcester on Wednesday with first pitch set for 4:00 p.m. at Fitton Field. The weekend series with the Lions begins with a doubleheader on Saturday, March 26. The first game starts at 1:00 p.m. Action concludes on Sunday, March 27 with the final doubleheader starting at 12:00 p.m. All games in New York will be held on Robertson Field.
- The Crusaders and Huskies have met a total of 59 times in program history with Connecticut holding a 40-19 advantage overall. The series dates back to 1922. Connecticut currently owns an 8-9 record, including an 0-1 record at home. They most recently went 1-1 at the Cougar Invitational in Mount Pleasant, S.C., beating the College of Charleston and losing to Southern Mississippi. The Huskies also fell out of the Baseball America top 25 last week. Senior first baseman Mike leads all starters offensively with a .386 batting average, scoring 12 runs and collecting 27 hits and 11 RBI in 70 at bats. Junior RHP Matt Barnes has the lowest ERA of Husky starting pitchers, collecting a 1.24 ERA with a 3-2 record in five starts thus far.
- Holy Cross is 129-83-1 all-time against Boston-based rival Boston College, with the series dating back to 1890. The Eagles are 8-9 after going 2-1 at ACC-opponent Maryland this past weekend. Freshman outfielder Tom Bourdon leads all starters offensively, collecting a .339 batting average, 19 hits and eight RBI in 17 games played. Senior RHP John Leonard is the squad's go to hurler, appearing in six games and starting five thus far. He has an ERA of 2.36 in 34.1 innings pitched.
- This weekend's doubleheader will serve as the 26th meeting between the Crusaders and Lions, with Holy Cross owning a 20-5 all-time record. The teams first met back in 1899. Columbia most recently lost a three-game series to the hands of Central Florida this past weekend and will host Holy Cross in its home opener. Dario Pizzano leads all starters offensively, batting .380 thus far with 11 runs, 19 hits and 11 RBi in 50 at-bats. Senior RHP David Speer is the squad's top hurler, appearing in four games and starting on thus far. He has an ERA of 0.79 in 11.1 innings pitched.
- Junior LHP Nate Koneski (North Dighton, Mass.) continued to shine from the mound, striking out a career-best 10 batters in the team's 8-2 loss against St. John's on Sunday. He now leads the squad with 21 punch outs on the season, which also ranks sixth amongst Patriot League leaders. He averages 8.59 strikeouts per game.
- Senior Jack Laurendeau (Sudbury, Mass.) and sophomore Alex Maldonado (Brooklyn, N.Y.) are the Patriot League's top thiefs through this past weekend's games. On the season, Laurendeau has collected eight bags while Maldonado has six, ranking first and second in the league. Laurendeau now has 31 stolen bases in his career, which ranks third on the all-time list. Maldonado has a total of 19 stolen bases in his young career, which ranks 10th all-time.
- Seniors Nick Ciardiello (Edison, N.J.) and Eric Oxford (Danvers, Mass.) are moving their ways up the all-time career doubles list as each player has six doubles on the season. Oxford now has 39 career doubles, which ranks third all-time while Ciardiello has 34, tying for fourth all-time. Both players currently tie for third amongst Patriot League leaders.