Overall Record: 5-7(0-0 PL) Last Week: 3-3
Scoreboard: Gardner Webb 14, Holy Cross 7, Boiling Springs, N.C., 3/8
Gardner Webb 13, Holy Cross 9, Boiling Springs, N.C., 3/10
Virginia Commonwealth 10, Holy Cross 3, Richmond, Va., 3/11
Holy Cross 8, Princeton 2, Richmond, Va., 3/12
Holy Cross 9, Virginia Commonwealth, Richmond, Va., 3/12
Holy Cross 5, Princeton 4, Richmond, Va., 3/13
Schedule: Friday, March 18 vs. Albany, Worcester, Mass., 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 19 vs. Albany, Worcester, Mass., 4:00 p.m.
Sunday, March 20 vs. St. John's, Worcester, Mass., 1:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball team returns to Worcester for its home opener, hosting a weekend series with New York-based Albany and St. John's. The squad opens up the weekend with a 4:00 p.m. contest against the Great Danes on Friday, March 18 and mirrors the match-up at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 19. The Crusaders conclude the weekend's action with a 1:00 p.m. game against St. John's. All games will be played on Fitton Field.
- The Crusaders and Great Danes have met just one other time in program history with Holy Cross winning the 2004 meeting to take a 1-0 lead in the all-time series. Albany currently owns a 3-7 record and will play against St. John's on March 16 before traveling to Worcester this weekend. The team most recently swept a weekend set against NYIT. Sophomore infielder Brian Bullard leads the squad's offense, batting .458 through six games played with 11 hits and four RBI. Senior RHP Dave Kubiak has the lowest ERA of Albany starting pitchers, collecting a 2.31 ERA with a 0-1 record thus far.
- Holy Cross is 2-1 all-time against the Red Storm with the first game played back in 1915. St. John's is 5-8 after this past weekend's action and will play in two mid-week games versus Fairfield and Albany before making the trip to Worcester. The squad was last swept by common-opponent Gardner Webb, dropping a 3-2 and 18-11 decision this past weekend. Junior shortstop Joe Panik leads all starters offensively, collecting a .434 batting average, 23 hits and 12 RBI in 13 games played. Sophomore RHP Matt Carasiti is the squad's top hurler, appearing in six games and starting one thus far. He has an ERA of 0.93 in 9.2 innings pitched.
- Junior LHP Nate Koneski (North Dighton, Mass.) registered his best outing of the season this past Sunday against Princeton. The southpaw pitched seven innings, scattering only three hits while striking out seven batters. His innings pitched and strikeouts are a single game-high for any Crusader this season as he entered the weekend with a 15.75 ERA and brought it down to 6.75 at the end of spring break. He leads the squad with 11 punch outs as well.
- Senior Jack Laurendeau (Sudbury, Mass.) won his first-ever Patriot League Player of the Week honor on Monday. He filled the box score in Holy Cross' seven games in North Carolina and Virginia last week, helping the Crusaders to a winning record on the trip. He went 11-for-29 (.379 batting average) with 11 runs scored, eight RBI, three doubles, a triple and six steals for the Crusaders, while also walking four times to record a .471 on-base percentage. Laurendeau now has six steals on the season and 29 in his career, tying for fourth on the Holy Cross career records list. He is batting .317 overall, collecting 13 hits, 12 runs and nine RBI and has not made an error in the outfield this season.
- Senior Nick Ciardiello (Edison, N.J.) is currently on an eight-game hit streak, dating back to the game against St. Joseph's on March 7. He also has at least one RBI in the last eight games, including three multi-RBI affairs. Ciardiello bats .314 over his streak and also has a .600 slugging percentage. He totals 12 RBI on 13 hits, including two home runs and four doubles. He ties the team-high with 13 RBI though all games this season.