March 1, 2011
Crusaders Set For Round-Robin Series At UNC Wilmington
Overall Record: 0-3 (0-0 PL) Last Week: 0-3
Scoreboard: #13 LSU, 12, Holy Cross 3, Baton Rouge, La., 2/25
#13 LSU 14, Holy Cross 3, Baton Rouge, La., 2/26
#13 LSU 15, Holy Cross 4, Baton Rouge, La., 2/27
Schedule: Saturday, March 5 vs. Villanova, Wilmington, N.C., 12:00 p.m.
Sunday, March 6 vs. St Joseph's, Wilmington, N.C., 10:00 a.m.
Sunday, March 6 at North Carolina-Wilmington, Wilmington, N.C., 2:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball team continues its 2011 campaign with a trip to Wilmington, N.C., playing in a round-robin series against host North Carolina-Wilmington, Villanova and St. Joseph's. The weekend series begins on Saturday, March 5 with a contest against Villanova at noon. Sunday features a double header, first against St. Joseph's at 10:00 a.m. and then against UNC-Wilmington at 2:00 p.m. All games will be held at Brooks Field, home of the Seahawks.
- The Crusaders and the Villanova Wildcats have met on the diamond 14 times in school history, with Holy Cross owning a 10-4 all-time record. The series began in 1898, the first decade of Holy Cross baseball. Villanova currently owns a 2-4 record, last dropping a three-game series to ACC foe, Duke. Junior outfielder Matt Fleishman is the team's top hitter on the young season, collecting 10 hits and nine RBI along with a .435 batting average.
- Holy Cross and St. Joseph's have played in just two games in program history, splitting the series 1-1. The Hawks have already played in eight games, registering an even 4-4 record. They will play at Delaware on March 2 before traveling to Wilmington. Sophomore Kyle Mullen is the team's top hurler thus far, recording a 2.25 ERA in two starts. He has 12 innings pitched under his belt, earning two wins in both appearances.
- This will be the first meeting in program history for the Crusaders and Sea Hawks and also the team's first trip to Wilmington, N.C. The Seahawks play against Elon on Wednesday, March 2 before hosting the three teams this upcoming weekend. After seven games played so far, UNC-Wilmington stands at 3-4 on the season, winning its last two games. Three players are batting .400 or higher thus far, including team leader, senior Alex Hill, with a .455 batting average. Senior Justin Bradley has emerged as the team's top pitcher, registering a 1.80 ERA in three appearances thus far, including two starts.
- Sophomore shortstop Alex Maldonado (Brooklyn, N.Y.) proved why he has taken over as the team's leadoff man this season as he batted .455 in three games against the nationally-ranked Tigers. Maldonado collected five hits in 11 at bats last week, including a 3-for-4 day on Feb. 26. He led the team offensively, totaling five bases and two runs.
- Senior Eric Oxford (Danvers, Mass.) came one step closer to breaking the Holy Cross career RBI record, as he tied the record with one RBI on Sunday. He now has 109 RBI in his career and needs just one more to become Holy Cross' all-time RBI leader. Oxford batted .273 in last weekend's three-game series, combining for three hits in 11 at-bats, including a double.
- Sophomore Josh Hauser (Dallas, Texas) shined in his two inning relief appearance on Friday against LSU. Hauser was the only Holy Cross pitcher to not let one run score on the weekend and led the team with three strikeouts. In two innings, Hauser faced eight Tiger batters, shutting down three batters and allowing no runs to touch home plate for a 0.00 ERA after the three-game series.