Overall Record: 2-5 (0-0 Patriot League)
Last Week: 1-3
Scoreboard: College of Charleston 10, Holy Cross 7, Mt. Pleasant, S.C., 3/3
Charleston Southern 7, Holy Cross 6, Charleston, S.C., 3/5
Charleston Southern 10, Holy Cross 6, Charleston, S.C., 3/6
Holy Cross 8, Charleston Southern 3, Charleston, S.C., 3/6
Schedule: Saturday, March 13 at Delaware (DH),
Newark, Del., 12:00/3:00 p.m.
Sunday, March 14 at Delaware, Newark, Del., 1:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball team spends the week practicing in Worcester, Mass. before taking its next road trip to Newark, Del. For a three-game series with Delaware. The series begins with a doubleheader on Saturday, March 13 with the first game scheduled for 12:00 p.m. The third game of the series will be on Sunday, March 14 starting at 1:00 p.m. The teams will face off on Bob Hannah Stadium, the home of the Blue Hen baseball team.
- Saturday and Sunday’s games against the Blue Hens will mark the second time the two teams have met in program history. The first and only other meeting was during the 1922 season, with Delaware winning two out of the three contests. In the last time out, former Crusaders pitcher Owen Carroll ‘25 allowed just three hits in 12 innings of work, leading his squad to a 1-0 victory in extra innings on April 15, 1922.
- Two Holy Cross players earned honorable mentions from the Patriot League after their outings in the four games from last week. Junior Eric Oxford (Danvers, Mass.) made a huge impact on the Crusaders’ offense, going 9-for-18 with two home runs and five RBI. He marked a 5-for-5 plate performance against the College of Charleston, tallying a home run, two RBI and three runs scored. His five hits in five at bats was the first time he has notched a perfect offensive effort. He now stands with a .419 batting average on the season, leading the team with 13 hits and seven RBI.
- Sophomore Nate Koneski (North Dighton, Mass.) earned the second honorable mention after he posted two wins in two starts so far this season. He allowed just two runs in 7.2 innings pitched on Monday against Georgia Southern and followed with another two-run outing in six innings pitched against Charleston Southern in game two of the doubleheader on Saturday. He currently stands at 2-0 on the season with a 2.63 ERA. He’s allowed four runs on 10 hits with four walks and five strikeouts in all.
- Holy Cross currently has the fourth-best win-loss record amongst Patriot League opponents. Navy has started strong as they stand at 10-1. Army follows with a 4-2 record while Bucknell has marked five wins and five losses. The Crusaders are fourth with their 2-5 record as Lehigh (1-4) and Lafayette (0-6) wrap up the Patriot League standings thus far. The team also ranks fourth amongst league foes with a team batting average of .305 and are fifth with a team ERA of 9.94.
- Junior Nick Ciardello (Edison, N.J.) is fourth in the league in individual batting as he is currently batting .476 with 10 hits in 21 at-bats, including three doubles and six RBI. Koneski is fifth in individual pitching while senior Ryan George (Seekonk, Mass.) currently posts a league-low 1.42 ERA. In 6.1 innings pitched so far this season, George has allowed just one run on four hits while striking out seven batters.