Overall Record: 1-2 (0-0 Patriot League)
Last Week: 1-2
Scoreboard: Georgia Southern 19, Holy Cross 7, Statesboro, Ga., 2/28
Georgia Southern 13, Holy Cross 10, Statesboro, Ga., 2/29
Holy Cross 3, Georgia Southern 2, Statesboro, Ga., 3/1
Schedule: Wednesday, March 3 at College of
Charleston, Charleston, S.C., 1:00 p.m.
Friday, March 5 at Charleston Southern, Charleston, S.C., 2:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 6 at Charleston Southern, Charleston, S.C., Doubleheader beginning at 11:30 a.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball team continues its southern trip with four games against two different schools based in Charleston, S.C. The first game will be on Wednesday, March 3 against the College of Charleston beginning at 1:00 p.m. at the Cougars' home field; Patriot's Point. The game was rescheduled from its original slate of Tuesday, March 2. This will be the first-ever meeting between the two squads in Holy Cross baseball program history. The Cougars enter the match-up with an overall record of 6-1 after they took two out of three from North Carolina-Asheville this past weekend
- The Crusaders will then play against another school that they have never competed against in program history. On Friday, March 5 and Saturday, March 6, Holy Cross will play against Charleston Southern at Buccaneer Ballpark in Charleston, S.C. Friday's game will begin at 2:00 p.m. and Saturday will be a doubleheader, with the first game starting at 11:30 a.m. The Buccaneers currently hold an overall record of 2-5 and will also play against inner-city rival College of Charleston tomorrow, March 3.
- Junior Brendan McCrea (Hicksville, N.Y.) earned an honorable mention performance nod by the Patriot League this week as he went 5-for-9 with four runs scored in Holy Cross' first two games at Georgia Southern on Saturday and Sunday, matching a career-high with four hits in Sunday's 13-10 defeat. He rounded out the series with a 6-for-13 plate appearance with five runs scored and four RBI.
- The freshman class proved their worth with big starts in the season's opening series. Three newcomers tallied RBIs in their collegiate debuts while a total of four fresh faces tallied hits. Patrick Puentes (East Greenbush, N.Y.) and Stephen Wadsworth (Wayland, Mass.) showed their offensive power as Puentes went 2-for-7 in the three-game series, tallying two hits, two RBI and one run. Wadsworth finished the series with a 2-for-9 plate performance, also tallying two RBI and two hits, including a bases clearing double on March 1. Alex Maldonado (Brooklyn, N.Y.) homered in his first collegiate at-bat on Feb. 27, finishing the series with two runs, two hits and one RBI. Zach Burdeau (Andover, Mass.) also tallied a hit in his first collegiate at-bat after coming in to the game as a pinch hitter.
- After the opening weekend, the Holy Cross baseball team currently holds a combined .306 batting average, a .396 slugging percentage and a .388 on-base percentage. They have marked 20 runs, 34 hits, 18 RBI and have struck out 24 times while drawing 15 walks. Sophomore Chris Sintetos (Bethesda, Md.) has notched the best offensive numbers, going 3-for-6 at the plate with three hits, two RBI and one run. He has started one game in the outfield thus far.