Schedule: Saturday, Feb. 27 at Georgia
Southern, Statesboro, Ga., 1:30 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 27 at Georgia Southern, Statesboro, Ga., 1:30 p.m.
Monday, March 1 at Georgia Southern, Statesboro, Ga., 6:00 p.m. p.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball team opens up the 2010 season with a three-game series against Georgia Southern, a team who currently sits with a 1-2 record after competing against Tennessee Tech in last weekend's season opener. This will be the first time the two squads have met in Holy Cross program history. The Eagles were picked in a tie for first place in the Southern Conference preseason coaches and media polls. Three Georgia Southern players also earned preseason second team Southern Conference honors.
- The Crusaders were selected to finish third in the 2010 Patriot League preseason poll as voted on by head coaches and sports information directors from around the league. The third-place selection was a repeat of the 2009 preseason poll voting as the team finished third in the conference last season with a 22-27 overall record, going 11-7 in the Patriot League.
- Head coach Greg DiCenzo enters his third season at the helm of the Holy Cross baseball team and returns 18 letterwinners to his lineup and adds 13 newcomers. Eight pitchers return to the team, including seniors Ryan George (Seekonk, Mass.), Bobby Holmes (Dedham, Mass.) and Matt Shapiro (Raynham, Mass.). Holmes and Shapiro return to the starting rotation and George will remain as the team's go-to closer. Sophomore Steve Tkowski (Bourne, Mass.) will take on most of the catching duties, as he is the only letterwinner returning to the position. Four players return to the infield, including two-time senior captain John Sills (Milton, Mass.) and 2009 Patriot League Player of the Year Matt Perry (Sudbury, Mass.). The outfield will consist of five returning letterwinners, with juniors Jack Laurendeau (Sudbury, Mass.) and Brendan McCrea (Hicksville, N.Y.) returning as starters.
- Two new faces grace Holy Cross' coaching staff this season. Assistant coach Gabe Ribas will work primarily with the Crusaders pitchers as well as coordinating all recruiting efforts for the team. Ribas spent the prior two seasons at Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill. where he dedicated his time to coaching outfielders, as well as handling the majority of the Wildcat recruiting efforts. Assistant coach Jeff Kane also joins the 2010 baseball staff as he spent the prior three seasons as head coach at Westford Academy (Westford, Mass.).
- Leading the 2010 squad will be tri-captains George, Perry and Sills. The three have collected 254 appearances in the Crusaders uniform, marking 221 starts in their respective positions.